Tips for Weight Management Success
The PGX® Weight Management Program™ can be a comfortable, long-term way of life, rather than a “diet” you endure for a few weeks until it fails you. However, making lifelong changes can be difficult, so here’s how you can make it as easy on yourself as possible.
How to Get the Most out of PGX®
1. Never skip breakfast
Have a good breakfast with adequate protein and fibre. A healthy portion of eggs and whole grain breads are a good fit.
2. Don’t forget to snack… healthily
Try the PGX Protein drink mix or eat a high-volume, low-calorie snack to reduce your appetite before dinner. Aim to get a simple, high fibre, high protein 100-150 Kcal snack such as a serving of plain yogurt with bran cereal or handfuls of healthy nuts, such as almonds, before lunch and dinner.
3. Be Prepared for Anything
Always carry a few PGX softgel capsules or stick packs of granules in case you find yourself in a bind and need to get some PGX on the go.
PGX® and Taking Medication
PGX can slow the rate of absorption of nutrients, and it can theoretically do the same with medications. It is recommended that any oral medication be taken 1 hour before or 2–3 hours after consuming PGX. Please consult with your health care practitioner if you if you are taking cholesterol or blood sugar lowering medication. Always consult your physician prior to using dietary supplements.
Feeling Funny in the Tummy?
If you experience gas, bloating or changes to your bowel movements:
- Reduce your PGX dose to the minimum, then slowly increase it, allowing your body time to adjust to the extra fibre.
- Supplement with probiotics (friendly bacteria).
- Take carminative herbs such as fennel, anise, and caraway.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day. For every 2.5 g of PGX consumed drink at least 250 mL (8 oz) of water. Note, PGX Meal Replacement Drink mix contains 4–5 g of PGX and PGX Satisfast drink mix contains 2.5 g of PGX.
Tips for Cooking with PGX®
There are lots of easy ways to incorporate PGX granules into food. In addition to blending them into beverages and sprinkling them on food, you can create some great soups, desserts, and even main courses using PGX granules.
General guidelines for using PGX in foods
- Foods that are already in a liquid or creamy state are the easiest to add PGX to, such as soups, dips, dressings, and drinks.
- Since PGX absorbs water, always add some extra fluid to the food in question to maintain the desired consistency, and add the extra fluid before adding the PGX (see chart on the following page).
- Always drink lots of water when taking PGX – even if it’s mixed with food.
- Focus on adding PGX to healthy foods that you can use for dessert or snacking between meals
- Don’t get too carried away in the beginning; remember to start with a moderate amount of PGX and slowly increase the amount to avoid problems adjusting to the extra fibre